Our next 5th Thursdays forum for land use officials and staff is coming up on Thursday, September 30th at 7pm via Zoom. Please register in advance if you plan to attend. More details below.
NHCOG “5th Thursday” forum for Land Use Commissions Members & Staff
Special Topic: Planning & Zoning to Protect Lakes, Rivers, & Water Quality in NWCT
Thursday, September 30th 7:00pm to 8:30pm
Via: Zoom (CLICK HERE TO REGISTER)
This next NHCOG “5th Thursdays” forum will cover the following:
- Why do we need to do more to protect our lakes and water quality here in NWCT?
- Economic impacts of unhealthy lakes and costs of prevention vs. treatment
- Watershed level impacts of storm water runoff
- Increasing storm events due to climate change
- What specific actions can we take?
- Low Impact Development demo projects and Design Manual (example: Morris, CT)
- Citizen handbook (example: Protecting Bantam Lake- easy guide to rain gardens, water buffers, and more)
- Watershed level planning
- Collaboration- within towns (Planning, Zoning, Inland Wetlands and local non-profits) between towns (ex. 3-town collaboration on Lake Waramaug) and at the watershed level including CT DEEP and the CT Federation of Lakes
- What resources can we turn to on this topic?
- List of resources and contact information
Guest presenters will include:
- James Fischer, Research Director, White Memorial Conservation Center
- Sean Hayden, Executive Director, Lake Waramaug Task Force
- Karen Nelson and Kelsey Sudol, Northwest Conservation District
- Connie Trolle, President, Bantam Lake Protective Association