On May 30th we will hold our next 5th Thursday Forum for planning, zoning, and conservation commission members. This forum will focus on wildlife corridors and farm viability with five terrific guest speakers. More details below, please RSVP.
“5th Thursdays” Forum for Land Use Commissions:
May 30, 2019 • 6:30pm-8pm
Location: NHCOG office (59 Torrington Rd., Goshen)
Planning & Zoning for Wildlife Corridors & Farm Viability
Guest presenters and information presented will include:
- Tim Abbott, Housatonic Valley Association, Regional Conservation and Greenprint Director
- Connie Manes, Greenprint Director & Executive Director of the Kent Land Trust
- Tim and Connie will talk about the new “Follow the Forest” initiative to reconnect wildlife corridors through NWCT and beyond including woodlands, fields, and wetlands.
- They will provide a NWCT example of how towns can use this information to inform planning, zoning, and conservation decisions; and
- Give a live demo of the online mapping resources available.
- Paul Elconin, Director of Land Conservation, Weantinoge Heritage Land Trust will be joined by Rebecca Neary and Elizabeth Chandler of the Warren Land Trust to talk about the “Warren’s Farming Future” project which was funded thorough a State Dept. of Agriculture Farm Viability grant.
- The primary goal of the Warren’s Farming Future project is to develop a long-term plan to support farm viability and economic success, sustainable farming practices, and farmland preservation in the Town of Warren.
- Paul, Rebecca, and Elizabeth will give us an update on this project and talk about how other towns might consider doing something similar and/or including this type of information in their Town Plan updates.
Who should attend:
Planning Commission members
Zoning Commission members
Inland Wetland and Conservation Commission members
Land Use Administrators & ZEOs
Anyone else interested in how our towns can support priority forest and farmland protection
Planning to come?! RSVP TODAY! (RSVP to: Jocelyn)