NHCOG is seeking a qualified and highly-motivated team player to serve as Regional Planner. The ideal candidate will provide support to COG towns, local officials and citizens on topics such as: GIS, natural hazard mitigation, water quality protection, sustainability, and transit planning.
The Northwest Hills Council of Governments (NHCOG) provides assistance in regional planning, transportation, environmental management, emergency preparedness, economic development, and municipal shared services to a region of 21 municipalities.
Salary Range: $60,000 – $70,000 (depending on qualifications) with a competitive benefits package
Location: Goshen, CT
Closing Date: Open until filled or closed
NHCOG seeks a qualified and highly-motivated team player to serve as Regional Planner. The ideal candidate will provide support to COG towns, local officials and citizens on topics such as: GIS, natural hazard mitigation, water quality protection, sustainability, and transit planning. Job responsibilities may evolve over time but initially are expected to include:
- Coordinate consultant-led natural hazard mitigation planning
- Assist with carrying out transportation planning and transit initiatives
- Assist with carrying out tasks related to implementation of our regional plans including the Regional Transportation Plan, Regional Plan of Conservation & Development, and Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy
- Coordinate the COG’s regional GIS program, which includes a variety of GIS data helpful for town and regional planning
- Assist member towns with developing and maintaining parcel mapping and other GIS tasks
- Pursue additional opportunities for shared services in the region
- Provide support to ongoing outreach and other activities, such as NHCOG website updates, training programs, and other events
- Interact at a staff level with state agencies and in working on regional and state coordinating groups
- Develop grant applications and provide material support for grant development and project management
- Other tasks as assigned
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong work ethic and project management skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management skills to handle multiple assignments simultaneously and on-time
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, while maintaining strong working relationships with supervisors, staff, elected officials, committee members, consultants, and members of the public
- Experience with ArcGIS, social media, and MS Office applications especially MSWord, PowerPoint, and Excel
Education and Experience
A Master’s Degree in planning or a planning related field with an undergraduate degree in a related field and one year professional experience, or an undergraduate degree in city or regional planning or related field with at least three years practical experience in the field. Experience essential in ArcGIS and Windows operations and internet mapping technology. May substitute any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Salary and Benefits
Position will be filled at the Senior Planner level, with corresponding salary of $60,000-$70,000, depending on qualifications.
NHCOG offers a competitive benefits package including: health and dental insurance; retirement contributions; vacation time; personal time; sick time; flexible work schedules; telecommuting opportunities; and employer-paid professional accreditations, memberships and conferences.
This position provides an opportunity to work in a collaborative, supportive, and motivating work environment. The employee will be stationed in NHCOG’s office located in Goshen, CT. This area of Connecticut offers:
- High quality of life
- Close access to major cities, world-class healthcare, arts& cultural attractions
- Excellent school systems
- Access to recreational trails and many leisure activities
Applying for the Position
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and references to Richard Lynn, Executive Director. Selected candidates may be asked to provide additional information or to appear for a personal interview. This position will remain open until filled or closed.
NHCOG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.