We held a very successful 2018 NWCT Economic Development Summit with over 150 attendees on January 30th at Mad River Lofts in Winsted. To see a copy of the slides presented that night, click here. We will use the input we received at this forum to inform our new regional economic development strategy (CEDS).
The NHCOG works on economic development issues in collaboration with the Northwest Connecticut Economic Development Corporation, and the Northwest Connecticut Chamber of Commerce.
We are now working on the 2018 update to our region’s Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS), this is funded in part thought the U.S. Economic Development Administration. The steering committee for this effort is the NWCT EDC Board. The goal of this process will be to:
GOAL: Develop focused, strategic, realistic set of actions that NHCOG, the 21 member towns, Chamber, NWCT EDC, NWRWIB, and other partners in the region will take over the next 5 years. The objectives of these strategies will be to:
- Grow the business clusters that drive NWCT’s economy
- Encourage entrepreneurial development to create jobs
- Ensure a workforce that meets the need of NWCT’s employers
- Foster livable, vibrant communities
- Invest in the infrastructure needed to foster business growth
- Actively market our assets and opportunities; Celebrate regional collaboration & successes
If you have any questions, would like to be involved or provide input on the CEDS update, please contact Jocelyn Ayer, NHCOG’s Community & Economic Development Director.
In 2013 the Northwest Connecticut Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) report was completed. The CEDS report includes a data section detailing present conditions in NWCT and a specific Action Agenda to guide improvements in economic conditions in NW CT over the next five years.
For an excerpt of the NWCT CEDS data section which includes information on population and age, housing, educational attainment, employment, income, industry, and municipal fiscal data click here.
For the full 2013 CEDS report, click here.
Other economic development links:
- Northwest CT Chapter of SCORE’s “Starting a Small Business in Northwest Connecticut: A Basic Guide“
- Connecticut Economic Resource Center
- Northwest Connecticut Chamber of Commerce
- State Department of Economic and Community Development
- Connecticut Main Street Center
- Northwestern Connecticut Regional Planning Collaborative’s Village Center Vitality Current Conditions Report (2010) and Strategies report (2010)